Celebrating 28 years of excellence, Crystal Cruises is the World’s Most Awarded Luxury Cruise Line, having earned “World’s Best Cruise Ship” in Condé Nast Traveler’s Reader Choice Awards for 24 years; been voted “World’s Best Large Ship Cruise Line” by Travel + Leisure readers for 20 years; and the “Best Luxury Cruise Line” by travel professional organization Virtuoso for three consecutive years (2014, 2015 & 2016). The readers of Travel + Leisure also voted Crystal River Cruises the “World’s Best River Cruise Line”. Crystal is proud to be a platinum partner of the professionals of ASTA. Crystal Mozart, our first river ship, launched July 2016 and has already been named “Best New River Ship” by the editors of, both, the U.S. and U.K. editions of Cruise Critic. In 2017, we have expanded with two (2) new river ships in Europe, Crystal Bach (launched August 2017) and Crystal Mahler (launched September 2017) and with another two (2) ships in 2018, the Crystal Debussy (launched May 2018) and Crystal Ravel (launched July 2018).
We are currently looking for a Director Marine Operations, for our Crystal River Cruises office in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
The Director Marine Operations manage all the direct activities of the marine operations department including the technical operations. He/she manage and supervise the staff involved in all phases of marine operations shoreside and shipboard pertaining to the Crystal Cruises vessels. He/she assures that vessel safety, policies and procedures are of the highest standards.
• Direct and manage fleetwide marine operations and oversee the technical department to ensure the vessels are being maintained to the highest standard.
• Oversee the development and implementation of a full safety management system throughout the fleet.
• Responsible for the coordination and compliance with all applicable government bodies and regulations.
• Oversee annual shipyard maintenance and refurbishment periods for each vessel assuring all R&M and Capex projects are completed on time and on budget.
• Management and development of deck and engine officers and corporate marine staffing; assure training procedures are developed and implemented.
• Responsible for vessel bunkering, port arrangements and itinerary planning.
• Responsible for coordination of all insurance claims and repairs as needed.
• Serve as owner/operator representative during the newbuild process and advise on all nautical and technical areas pertaining to the operation.
• Ensure the marine purchasing department is efficiently ordering quality materials and delivering on time to the ships.
• Attend ships as required to maintain an in-depth knowledge of the level of Deck Department and navigational training on board and implement simulator training programs as needed.
• Conduct yearly performance evaluations, training and performance counseling/coaching of his/her direct reports as required.
• Proactively follow up and manage the progress of own, subordinates, and ships’ deck and engine related Report Tasks to ensure they are moved forward.
• Oversee selection, contract negotiations and quality control of all contractors and service companies used to service the ships.
• Recommends suitable continuing education/training courses for all marine staff and ensures all onboard crew (Marine and Hotel) have the required safety trainings at the start of each season.
• Manage special projects, as assigned by SVP Marine & Newbuilding.
• Oversee and actively manage the budgeting and forecast process for Port Operations, Fleetwide R&M, CAPEX, Fuel, and security costs.
• Develop budgeting and forecasting processes which allow for continuous improvement in accrual accuracy.
• Push team to implement cost saving measures wherever possible without sacrificing quality.
Reports Directly to Senior Vice President Marine & Newbuilding, Genting Hong Kong and General Manager, River Operations.
• Bachelor’s level Degree or higher in Nautical Studies or Marine Engineering, preferably both.
• Master’s License preferred but not required.
• An experienced and proven track record as licensed nautical officer (actual service at the Captain or VC, or Chief Officer level preferred) of a cruise ship or superyacht with at least 7 years’ actual sea time.
• Newbuild experience a plus and preferred, to include delivery/takeout.
• 3-5 years of successful direct supervision in both an on board and office environment of at least 10 persons; greater than 10 preferred.
• Experience with the inspections and practical requirements of Marine Classification societies and maritime regulatory bodies.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; a respectful, diplomatic and proactive self-manager; demonstrated track record of meeting deadlines, and taking initiative but knowing when to consult supervisor, colleagues and co-workers to obtain buy-in to process/procedure improvements; facilitates team-oriented solutions in a fast-paced work environment.
• An active listener with great attention to detail.
• Respectfully and actively challenges the status quo with an eye toward continuous improvement.
• The right to live and work in Europe.
Location- Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Applicants from EU/EEA countries only. Starting date, according to agreement.
If this is of interest and you have the above qualifications, please send your motivation letter and CV to email@example.com, no later than January 21, 2019.
Please contact Mireille Jesterhoudt-Geschiere, HR Manager of Crystal River Cruises using e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions regarding this position.